Sunday, July 29, 2012

rock solid

Hey lovelies!

Let me tell you about one of my favourite finds lately - the essie rock solid base coat.

Now, I have to admit, I didn't really use base coats for a long time. It's just one more coat of polish that has to dry and I never really noticed the benefits. However, I only ever tried cheap ones.

My nails tend to break and get damaged easily which makes it hard to wear them long. The concept of hardening them has always intrigued me but I've never had any success in that area.

But neverthelesss, I decided to try again when I found rock solid.


The packaging calls it an ultra strenth base coat which is supposed to harden your nails by 30% in a week.
Well I don't know about the 30% but they do feel a bit less soft, even after the first use.

The polish is very thin, which I love, because this way you can easily apply a coat as thin as you want. Another plus: it dries very quickly - definitely a big selling point for a base coat, I think!

Oh and while the polish looks purple-ish in the bottle it's definitely a standard clear laquer, I'm thinking that hue comes from the bottle :)


Now, I did kind of hard-core test this polish, which is why I'm writing about this now
(just a base coat by itself doesn't really make for an interesting post).

I applied a thin coat of rock solid and then two thin coats of OPI Pompeii Purple.
That was on Friday morning.

Friday afternoon we were working in the garden. And when I write work, I'm talking litterally digging around in the dirt (mostly without gloves), hauling rocks, shoveling holes... (we're re-doing our koi-pond) Afterwards I obviously showered and then went out. Saturday was a lot more shoveling and digging and then another shower. Oh, and I had to rearrange my keychain inbetween, which means prying open those metal rings with your nails over and over. That's several hours of hard work, plus 2 showers plus the keychain, and this is what my nails looked like after all of that:


That's pretty damn awesome I'd say :)

As I'm right handed there's a tiny bit more chipping on my right hand but really not all that much.

So while (according to the packaging) the strengthening thing is this polish's most impressive feature, I'd say the durability it gives your nailpolish should definitely be right up there with it.

I've never tried any of the other essie base coats, but I'm sure they're all worth a try, just pick the one that fits your needs best.

Either way, I absolutely recommend this one!!

Have a lovely Sunday!
xo, Lizzy

No comments:

Post a Comment